Published on February 21st, 20140
Oats for beauty
Oats are healthy both for the heart and your skin. Here’s presenting some simple oatmeal therapies for beautiful, stunning skin.
by Deepa Mistry
Whenever you jumpstart your day with a warm bowl of oats on a winter morning (though some of you might not be fond of the bland porridge which your doctor asked you to eat daily), bear in mind that oatmeal is a healthy alternative not just for a healthy heart but for beautiful, younger looking skin as well.
Oatmeal has inflammatory properties. It helps relieve itching and soothes and softens the skin. Since oats are a little rough, they are great exfoliates and make skin super soft. The amino acid present in them has the best balance of all cereals and is a great water-binding agent. This might sound surprising, but oats are also used to soothe burns, itchiness, mosquito bites and even chicken pox (does not cure, only gives relief from pain). Oats have been clinically proven to help dry, itchy skin. You will find a variety of brands and these days, oats are available in various flavours and some quick to cook ones as well. But don’t buy those.
If you want oats to give you beautiful skin, try these tips:
– Face wash: Mix a handful of oats with a little warm water and mix till it looks little soapy. Massage on your face and leave it for 2 to 5 minutes and wash off. Do this every morning or night.
– Moisturiser and mask for wrinkles reduction: Mix equal amounts (approx 1 tsp) of oats, honey, olive oil and yogurt and apply on a clean face. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off with cool water.
– Face scrub: Mix 1 tsp oats, 1 tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp honey. Scrub your face with this mix for 2 to 3 minutes and wash off with warm water.
– Oat bath: Place ½ cup rolled oats, ¼ cup powdered milk and 2 tsp honey in a tiny bag (preferably of muslin cloth). Hang the bag under the tap as you fill your bath tub or if you’re having a bucket bath hang it on the inside of the bucket, so running water disperses the goodness throughout your bath. This is the best way to rejuvenate skin.
– Banana bread mask: Whip together ½ really ripe mashed banana, 2 tsp ground oats, milk or cream, a pinch of nutmeg and 2 tsp whole wheat flour to get a smooth, paste-like mixture. Spread on clean face and leave for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
– Stress relieving mask: Oats are used for relieving stress and exhaustion. All you need to do is have an oat bath or just mix a spoonful of oats, warm water, 1 tsp honey and 1 egg white to relax yourself.
– General skin problems: Oats can also be used to treat general skin problems like acne, dryness etc. Blend 2 tbsp oats, 1 tsp baking powder and just enough water to make a thick paste. Apply on a regular basis to avoid skin troubles.
We recommend you do a skin test before using certain ingredients on your skin, like baking soda, as it can have chemical reactions. Rest of the ingredients are safe to use as these are natural. Simple kitchen ingredients are just another to step to beautiful, glowing skin.
(Pictures courtesy beautyhealthtips.in, babyboomeradvisorclub.com, health.howstuffworks.com)